Search This Blog

January 23, 2010

Iron Guard Layout

Now that he is a junior, my son is on the Iron Guard at school. This is typically comprised of the junior cadets that hold positions within the corps. The ceremony they perform is a traditional ceremony on Founders Day Weekend, and again on Mothers Day Weekend.
During one of the practices this past fall, the school Commandant approached Kyle and appointed him as the Iron Guard Commander. He was the cadet calling the commands during each ceremony, and he did a fantastic job! This was the first year, since we've been present anyhow, that the commander could be heard clearly across the hall. :) Way to go, Kyle! Your parents are very proud of you. :)
For this layout, I did some more work on my PSE program: I created a gradient map layer to remove the busy background color to focus on Kyle in the photo. In addition to this, I worked in my SCAL program to create the shield photo frame by using the Trace Image option and a jpg of a shield and some leafy decoration clipart that I found for free on the web. I also created the swords on this page by using the shapes file in the SCAL program. Basically, I used an oval and stretched it out to create the blades. I layered a brushed silver cardstock and a shiny mirror cardstock to make the blade look like it has a sharp edge.  The grips are wrapped with embroidery floss.  The paper I used here is by Karen Foster. On the creamy paper, I added some paper glaze over the little dots to give it some dimension.
I'm not good at using any of the file sharing sites, yet, so my SCUT2 files for htis are on the repository at www.svgcuts.com if you're interested in using them. I ask that you please make note of origin on anything you publish using my files, please. :)

Material List

SCAL
Embroidery Floss
Paper Glaze
Stampin' Up Not quite Navy Cardstock
Karen Foster Designer Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and enjoy every one of your comments! Thank you so much!